Pegan Chocolate Ice Cream
Low carb, low fat, raw and vegan ice cream that is also delicious and easy to make.
- 2 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk Not the full-fat kind from the can, but the variety you drink (I use Silk). Can sub. part or all full fat coconut milk if on a high-fat ketogenic diet.
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Swerve confectioner's sweetener or other sugar substitute Can sub. regular confectioner's sugar if you aren't concerned with carbs.
- 1 dropper liquid stevia extract Can sub. 2 tbsp sugar if you aren't concerned with carbs.
- 1 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- shredded coconut (optional)
- 1 dropper mint extract (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a large blender (except coconut flakes, if using). If your blender doesn't accommodate all the ingredients, add at least half of the coconut milk to the remaining ingredients and blend. The important thing is to dissolve the dry ingredients.
- Stir in coconut flakes after blending, or use to top finished dessert.
- Place all ingredients in an ice cream maker and run for 15-20 minutes. I find that leaving that due to the low fat content, leaving the ice cream spinning for too long can cause the sides to freeze, making it difficult to remove all of the ice cream. If a harder consistency is desired, ice cream can be placed in the freezer after making.